BLACK OUTLAWS, EXAMPLE #1


In the van on tour with the People of Color Zine Project RACE RIOT! Tour, Mimi Nguyen (editor of the historically important "Evolution of a Race Riot" zine) went through the list of things she found notable about Urbana, Illinois, the town where she lives and teaches.  Turns out that small, Midwestern college town is home to an all-black biker gang whose name I cannot recall right now.  If you've ever been to Urbana, Illinois, you can imagine my surprise.  Additionally, that information was enough to make me rethink my decision to quit making Shotgun Seamstress zine...

Hearing about black biker gangs reminds me, for some reason, of the interview I did with Ms. Jacci Gresham, a black, female tattooist and shop owner here in New Orleans, Louisiana (issue #6.)  She told me in that interview about this bike shop in the French Quarter where people used to give tattoos illegally.  Someone fire bombed the place causing enough destruction in that historical part of the city that tattooing was from then on forbidden in The French Quarter. 


As far as I can tell from what I've read, it seems that there was hardly room for women to be anything more than arm candy in this subculture.  Still, after a childhood spent watching "The Cosby Show" and "A Different World," I like to imagine 10-year-old-me's mind being blown at the sight of this wild & crazy, all-black underworld.  It's just another example of something I grew up thinking was outside the realm of blackness when I was a kid.



From "Chosen Few & East Bay Dragons: America's Black Biker Set Revisited":

"When you talk of the Outlaw Bikers, you automatically think of 'Them Crazy White Boys' doing what a lot of folks wish they could do.  Live Life Like You Want & F*ck You and Your Rules.  Well Guess What?  There are some crazy Black bikers who felt the same way and didn't give a F*ck.  Thus was born the Black Outlaw Bikers!"  


Black motorcycle clubs emerged throughout Cali in the 50s and 60s, and fought against racism and stereotypes of the day for their right to live the outlaw biker lifestyle... 
 
Read more at the link below.  Also, excellent photographs!

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/chosen-few-east-bay-dragons-americas-black-biker-set-revisited/

Thanks to Mimi Nguyen for the idea.

Comments